It’s difficult to predict where and when your customer might make a purchase decision. Imagine a customer who suddenly thinks of dropping by the nearest cafe. They’ll get their mobile phone out to search for one online. The next thing you know, they’re in a cafe sipping their favorite dark mocha frappe.
The moment they decide which cafe to choose is called a micro-moment.
As an entrepreneur, you must capture these micro-moments and place your offers right before your customers’ eyes. By doing so, they’ll buy your products or hire your services.
So, how do you go about doing that?
This article shares what you need to know about micro-moments and why they’re vital for your eCommerce business. Read on to learn how to capture customers' attention in a mobile-first world.
What are micro-moments?
Micro-moments are brief moments when consumers suddenly want to use their mobile phones to search for quick information, make prompt decisions, or take immediate action.
In a mobile-first world, customers heavily rely on their mobile phones to access information through the internet. Micro-moments are intent-driven moments that make customers want to fulfill their needs almost immediately.
What does this imply for the eCommerce industry? Online businesses should capture these micro-moments and improve their customer experience. The goal is to get these customers to use their products or services.
There are four different types of micro-moments:
- I-want-to-know moments: customers want quick answers to their questions. Your relevant content pieces must appear on the first page of the search engine results pages (SERP).
- I-want-to-go moments: customers need to go somewhere at the spur of the moment. Your company must show up in the business listings for the local search.
- I-want-to-do moments: customers want to do something right at the moment. Your website should show up in the SERP to help them accomplish their tasks.
- I-want-to-buy moments: customers want to buy products or hire services right away. Your business should be visible in product and service searches, listings, or recommendations.
The importance of micro-moments in eCommerce
Did you know that nearly 27 million eCommerce websites are operating worldwide? Since the pandemic, click-and-order stores have been increasing in number. They have grown from 9.2 million in 2019 to more than 26.5 million this year.
The global eCommerce market has been thriving. Statista cites that its market could grow from $3.64 trillion in 2023 to $5.56 trillion by 2027. It's projected to expand at an 11.17% compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
Given its market growth, now is the right time to capitalize on eCommerce. However, the truth is that online competition has become stiffer than ever.
Here's another catch; customers have higher expectations than they did before. About 88% of surveyed respondents agreed with this statement. Meanwhile, nearly 80% believed customers are more informed now than they were in the past.
There are many ways to get on top of the competition in eCommerce and meet customer expectations. One way is to identify and capture micro-moments to your advantage. That said, here’s why understanding these moments can help boost your eCommerce profits:
- To capture customers' attention: customers usually turn to their mobile devices and seek to fulfill their needs during micro-moments. If you understand what these moments are, you have a better chance of immediately catching their attention.
- To understand consumer behavior: as mentioned, consumer behavior is unpredictable and always changing. By understanding micro-moments, you can align your offers to customers’ needs.
- To capitalize on mobile use: we now live in a mobile-first world, so use portable devices to your advantage. Understand how micro-moments work and you can optimize your eCommerce website and content for mobile use.
- To take advantage of search intent: micro-moments trigger customers to search for information, do something, go somewhere, or make use of something. You can align your marketing strategies with their search intent if you understand these moments.
- To personalize the customer experience: by understanding micro-moments, you can customize your marketing approach and content pieces to resonate with your target customers. That ultimately helps boost your customer engagement.
- To boost lead generation and sales conversion rates: understanding micro-moments helps you target the right customers. That can go as far as generating leads and converting leads into sales for your online business.
Five effective strategies for capturing customer attention in micro-moments
Earlier, you learned more about micro-moments and why they’re crucial for your eCommerce business. Now, it’s time to capture the customers’ attention during micro-moments. From there, you can get these customers to interact with your brand and buy your products or hire your services.
Don’t know how to proceed? Here are five effective strategies for you:
1. Optimize your website and content for mobile
As an eCommerce business, your online store is the first thing to optimize. You want to guarantee your website reaches your target market. More importantly, your eCommerce site must welcome and entice your prospective customers by providing a seamless shopping experience from product selection to calculating shipping costs.
Correspondingly, mobile-first design is key to capturing micro-moments. Here’s what you can do:
- Use responsive web design. This design ensures your website looks good and works properly no matter the devices used. An example? As a shipping and logistics service provider, you want to ensure clients can access your site and track their products using their mobile phones.
- Produce mobile-friendly content. Aside from improving your website’s technical side, optimize your content for mobile use. Ensure your content pieces are readily skimmable and easily digestible. Likewise, consider the user experience (UX) for product photos and promotional video clips.
2. Take advantage of search intent
Simply put, search intent refers to the purpose of an online search. It answers the question: what are my target customers looking for online? If you can answer this crucial question, you’re on the right track.
To capture micro-moments, here’s how to leverage search intent:
- Implement SEO marketing. SEO involves optimizing a website, writing relevant content, and building quality backlinks. With SEO, your goal is to get the top SERP ranking for relevant organic searches. That allows you to capture micro-moments at their finest.
- Employ PPC advertising. PPC is short for pay-per-click advertising. It allows you to display ads on SERP but requires you to pay for every successful click. However, it lets you capture micro-moments and lead prospects to your website.
3. Unleash the power of content marketing
Volodymyr Shchegel, VP of Engineering at Clario, believes that content remains king in the digital world. “They have the power to connect and engage with consumers. Whether how-to articles, product images, or promotional video clips, these pieces of content can meet and satisfy customers’ needs.”
As such, consider implementing content marketing strategies for mobile commerce. Here’s how:
- Create and publish relevant content on your website. Start by producing and publishing articles on your blog regularly. The sky’s the limit; create how-to articles, guide posts, product photos, infographics, case studies, and eBooks. With relevant keywords, they can reach your target customers and capture their micro-moments.
- Post and share content on your social media pages. While you’re at it, you can post and share your blog posts on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or YouTube. This allows you to grab customers’ attention during micro-moments and engage with them. Remember, social media is powerful in today’s digital landscape.
4. Harness personalization for product and service recommendations
Jonathan Elster, CEO at EcomHalo, believes in the power of personalization. “Personalization has become a buzzword in the business realm for a good reason. Customers are more likely to engage with brands and do business with them if they receive customized experiences.”
As such, unleash the power of personalization for your eCommerce business. Follow the steps below:
- Personalize your content pieces and marketing. Don’t just create generic marketing pieces and send them to all your leads. Take the time to study each of your customers and provide them with customized solutions. That way, you can easily and quickly grab their attention during micro-moments.
- Provide prospects and customers with product and service recommendations. This approach entails examining and tracking your prospects’ activities on your platforms. Then, you can trigger product and service recommendations during their micro-moments. They might purchase your products or hire your services, and, through well-structured referral programs, you can encourage them to share their positive experience to create a powerful base of recommendation ad referrals.
5. Capitalize on user-generated content
As the name suggests, user-generated content (UGC) is any content created by consumers and not your brand. What’s good about UGC is that it shows authenticity and helps build trust. Why? People believe more in other customers who have actual experience with your products or services than in you who are promoting your brand.
To capture micro-moments using UGC, here’s what you can do:
- Encourage customers to share content. If you have satisfied customers, ask them to create content and share the good news with others. Loyal supporters you’ve built relationships with and earned trust from will be more than willing to do that.
- Provide social proof. Aside from asking loyal customers to create and share UGC, you have to do some of the work yourself. Take time to collate and publish positive content, such as product reviews, ratings, and testimonials, on your eCommerce platform.
- Work with influencers. However, ensure they use your products or services when they share articles, images, or videos about your brand with their followers. Often, influencers sharing UGC trigger micro-moments among prospective customers.
Making the most of micro-moments for eCommerce success
eCommerce is more than just about selling; it’s about sharing moments with your customers. This means capturing micro-moments at the right time and presenting valuable offers to satisfy customers’ immediate needs.
However, getting the customers’ attention in a mobile-first world is no easy feat. To begin, you must understand and identify what these micro-moments are. More importantly, find ways to grab and make the most of these moments.
Consider using these five effective strategies above, and you’ll be on your way to eCommerce success!
Published November 22, 2023